Sex Education is Failing in Vietnam.

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Sex Education is Failing in Vietnam.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Teenagers account for 70 percent of secret abortions in Vietnam
By Bui Hong Nhung July 1, 2016 | 08:08 am GMT+7
Young people account for 70 percent of secret abortions in Vietnam, according to Nguyen Thi Hoai Duc, head of Vietnam's Institute for Reproductive and Family Health.

Youngsters aged between 13 and 19 account for 70 percent of secret abortions in Vietnam, and some even have more than one, Duc told a meeting on June 29.

“Many girls visit clinics three of four times to have abortions even though they are provided with information about pregnancy prevention as well as the risks of abortion,” she said.

Duc cited results from a survey conducted by Vietnam’s General Statistics Office, which showed that about 36 percent of Vietnamese adolescents aged 14-17 have had sex, and even some 10-12 year-old girls are having consensual sex. The survey also revealed that at least 8.4 percent of females from 15 to 24 have had at least one abortion.

The Health Advisory Centre under the National Hospital of Obstetrics and Gynecology said that young girls are admitted to the hospital for abortions every day.

More alarmingly, some of them have fetuses which are more than 12 weeks old, making it dangerous for the mothers to have an abortion.

“After realizing they are pregnant, many students buy drugs to abort the pregnancy without consulting a doctor, and that can have serious consequences,” Duc said.

Children need to be taught about sex

The head of Vietnam’s Institute for Reproductive and Family Health said that most Vietnamese parents feel awkward about talking to their children about sex, but it's better to inform them than let them face the consequences of their actions later on.
She added she has seen some parents go into denial when doctors tell them their 13-yearl-old is pregnant, and even become abusive. They claim that their children are very obedient and the doctors are lying.

Duc explained that both families and schools often avoid discussing sex while information from other sources, especially the internet, can be easily accessed. As a result, children search for information in secret, and it's only when they get pregnant that their parents realize the problem.

In term of schools’ responsibility to provide sex education, Tran Quoc Hai, principal of Cat Linh High School in Hanoi, claimed that teachers feel embarrassed and ashamed talking to students about sex.

He said: “In my school, some teachers responsible for sex education are not married, so how can they provide detailed information to students. Just showing images of human bodies to children makes them shy.”

The principal said there should be more training programs for teachers to learn about how to offer reproductive knowledge to students. In addition, health centers should visit schools more regularly to handle problems involving love and sex.
http://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/teenag ... 28414.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Sex Education is Failing in Vietnam.

Post by rozzieoz »

A 10 year old having consensual sex???? That's a child that's been groomed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

There was an initiative to place condom dispenser in High Schools. This was axed by the National Assembly as "it would encourage teenagers to have sex". :facepalm:
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Is birth control readily available to females in VN? Pill, shot? IDK.
Without education for such practice prolly would not matter.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Luigi wrote:Is birth control readily available to females in VN? Pill, shot? IDK.
Without education for such practice prolly would not matter.
Available but most kids don't know what it is.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

I think from 14-17 is under age so maybe their partners are school boys so they should educate boys successfully then no more pregnant girl or AIDs. I believe that girls will be passive to protect herself so the best thing is educate boys behave better.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

prahkeitouj wrote:I think from 14-17 is under age so maybe their partners are school boys so they should educate boys successfully then no more pregnant girl or AIDs. I believe that girls will be passive to protect herself so the best thing is educate boys behave better.
Some girls don't know how to get pregnant.

A couple of years back, one of my cousins-in-law fell pregnant. When I asked my wife why the cousin hadn't used protection (condom), she said that the cousin didn't know she could pregnant doing that. (The cousin was in her early 20's).
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Username Taken wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:I think from 14-17 is under age so maybe their partners are school boys so they should educate boys successfully then no more pregnant girl or AIDs. I believe that girls will be passive to protect herself so the best thing is educate boys behave better.

A couple of years back, one of my cousins-in-law fell pregnant. When I asked my wife why the cousin hadn't used protection (condom), she said that the cousin didn't know she could pregnant doing that. (The cousin was in her early 20's).
Didn't we have a poster whose Cambodian girlfriend thought that the morning after pill was a means of contraception - and she was a nurse who was supposed to advise people on contraception ?
Boys and girls both need sex education LS. It's difficult to prevent pregnancy if you don't know what causes it.
However, I can imagine that it's not always easy to stand in front of a class of teenagers and demonstrate how to put a condom on a banana.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Boys will always follow their little head. It can not be educated. It answers to primal instinct.

God gave man a penis and a brain but enough blood to work only one at a time. :beer3:
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: RE: Re: Sex Education is Failing in Vietnam.

Post by prahkeitouj »

Anchor Moy wrote:
Username Taken wrote:

Didn't we have a poster whose Cambodian girlfriend thought that the morning after pill was a means of contraception - and she was a nurse who was supposed to advise people on contraception ?
Boys and girls both need sex education LS. It's difficult to prevent pregnancy if you don't know what causes it.
However, I can imagine that it's not always easy to stand in front of a class of teenagers and demonstrate how to put a condom on a banana.
Did you mean Morning after pill which can help for emergency ? But it has time limited and if they pregnant already, nothing can help. Plan A, Plan B....
Yes, I meant boys and girls need to be educated, but they fail in education boys, didn't use protection that is the cause of pregnant and STD.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic