What's with the foreigners in the KOW 2016 ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

What's with the foreigners in the KOW 2016 ?

Post by Anchor Moy »

What's happening ? Crazy numbers of expat/foreigners are homeless, getting into shit situations, dying very young when they shouldn't? C'mon, it wasn't as bad as this last year, or was it ?

Another example of homeless barang with leg sores. This is becoming a classic.
https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/general ... 10320.html

Foreigner deaths that have been reported( and maybe some haven't ) :
Ms Blackney's death brought to 108 the number of foreigners who have died from various causes in Cambodia so far this year, eight of them Australians.
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/cambo ... qyq7w.html

108 deaths in 8 months equals 14-15 PER MONTH, like 1 dead every 2 days this year if the figures (and my calculations) are correct. That's huge.
And it's not just because there are more reports on social media. More foreigners are dying and getting into deep shit here than ever before. :wtf:
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: What's with the foreigners in the KOW 2016 ?

Post by General Mackevili »

I took a short Tuk-Tuk ride through Phnom Penh last week and on this particular ride I saw 3 Barangs that looked destitute. Real bottom feeders.

One guy at least had a bicycle but was as skinny as a methed-out NJH and looked to be selling shit like greeting cards or something he has rolled out on a sheet.

Another one was old, shirtless and looked like he hadn't bathed in a few weeks.

The last one might have just been a fellow English teacher on his lunch break but I'm not sure.

Haven't been robbed lately, so the only good thing about all these homeless westerners is that criminals are probably sick and tired of shaking down a mental foreigner and walking away with nothing but a broken lighter and a couple Angkor beer can ring-pulls that may or may not be worth anything.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

There are just a lot more foreigners here, and more keep coming. It's become a very popular spot. Most come here and get a job or business together. Drifters end up here too. They might arrive on top of the world with a few grand but without a plan or too many prospects they quickly run out of resources. Soon enough they are on the skin of their ass. It's probably a better life than they'd have pan-handling on the streets of Cleveland or Birmingham, but either way it sucks.
As for all the visitors/ tourists who die here, that is tragic. I do believe that most are actually getting into hedonistic stuff and just can't handle it though. Play it safe out there kids please.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Retardedwaitress
Expatriate

Post by Retardedwaitress »

Dont touch meth, crack or smack .
Avoid bar fines and sex with hookers.
Dont flash wads of usd in khmer peoples faces.
Dont drink 24/7 without eating and sleeping

Try not to piss of motodops and tuk tuks.

For some reason majority of barangs break all of these rules within 24 hours of entering the KOW.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

General Mackevili wrote:I took a short Tuk-Tuk ride through Phnom Penh last week and on this particular ride I saw 3 Barangs that looked destitute. Real bottom feeders.

One guy at least had a bicycle but was as skinny as a methed-out NJH and looked to be selling shit like greeting cards or something he has rolled out on a sheet.

Another one was old, shirtless and looked like he hadn't bathed in a few weeks.

The last one might have just been a fellow English teacher on his lunch break but I'm not sure.

Haven't been robbed lately, so the only good thing about all these homeless westerners is that criminals are probably sick and tired of shaking down a mental foreigner and walking away with nothing but a broken lighter and a couple Angkor beer can ring-pulls that may or may not be worth anything.
Yea, you could have at least given me the one dollar I asked for.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Retardedwaitress wrote;

''For some reason majority of barangs break all of these rules within 24 hours of entering the KOW.

You are living up to your avatar. Totally retarded statement. "Most" barangs you never hear about.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Luigi wrote:Retardedwaitress wrote;

''For some reason majority of barangs break all of these rules within 24 hours of entering the KOW.

You are living up to your avatar. Totally retarded statement. "Most" barangs you never hear about.
^This. For every destitute meth head there are dozens of Barang that work hard, stay away from girlie bars, and never grace the pages of CEO.
markd
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by markd »

cambo is the druggies choice as evrything is cheaper in cambo allowing more leftover dosh to get the drugs.

unless cambo can control its drugs availability to forriners & improve safety for all tourists then this social issue of deaths & "destitute & bottom feeder"english teachers as GM refers to them will continue to increase.
thru shit to more shit
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

markd wrote:cambo is the druggies choice as evrything is cheaper in cambo allowing more leftover dosh to get the drugs.

unless cambo can control its drugs availability to forriners & improve safety for all tourists then this social issue of deaths & "destitute & bottom feeder"english teachers as GM refers to them will continue to increase.
This deathpats are all over Thailand as well; where penalties for drugs are much harsher. Though admittedly I know nothing about the going rates for drugs over there (or here, for that matter).
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Retardedwaitress wrote: Try not to piss of motodops and tuk tuks.
That one was my last piece of advice before I came (from a friend in VN). On the few occasions I forgot to negotiate a price before hopping on a moto I just paid the $2, there's just no point in causing a scene over 50 cents or a dollar. I don't fancy being beaten up by a bunch of moto / tuk tuk drivers over it.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic